15 Celebrities Who Have Experienced the Challenging Life of Addiction
We tend to believe that celebrities have easy lives, that because they have fame and fortune, why would they turn to drugs to avoid their problems? But sadly, regardless of the success, money, and fame they have, celebrities also find themselves addicted to drugs and alcohol. In fact, sometimes it is because of the success, money, and fame that they drink and use drugs. Perhaps with too much freedom, there are more temptations.
The following is a list of 15 famous actors, singer, and other celebrities who have experienced the challenging life of addiction:
- Heath Ledger – Ledger is an Australian actor who died of a prescription drug overdose in 2008. There was a combined toxicity of oxycodone, hydrocodone, doxylamine, and other drugs.
- Joan Rivers – She was an American comedian who died because of an overdose to prescription drugs. She was 81 years old and died just last year in 2014.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman – He was an actor who died at the age of 46 from a heroin overdose. Although the cause of death has not been confirmed in the media, most speculate that he died because of his heroin addiction. He died last year in 2014.
- Michael Jackson – This pop star was well known around the world. He died of a cardiac arrest and acute propofol intoxication because of an addiction to prescription drugs.
- Billy Holiday – She is an American jazz singer and songwriter who died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1959. She was 44 years old when she died.
- Lenny Bruce – He was an American comedian who died of an accidental drug overdose using illegal drugs, including morphine. He was 40 years old when he died in 1966.
- Russell Brand – Brand played a major role in the movie The Guardian. He admitted that he used heroin to neutralize his pain and that eventually he lost power to say no to heroin as his addiction developed.
- Steven Tyler – The lead singer of Aerosmith wrote in his autobiography that he was spending over $2000 a week on heroin, cocaine, and alcohol.
- Eric Clapton – This famous musician and songwriter was addicted to heroin in the early 1970’s, but with the support of friends he was able to quit in 1974.
- Samuel L. Jackson – Jackson is an actor who has played a variety of roles in movies. He admitted to overdosing on heroin two times in his life. He said that it was a bad time in his life and that he was not happy with who he was then.
- Corey Feldman – Feldman has been an actor since a young age. Sadly, he was arrested in 1990 for possessing heroin, and later he told a major news magazine that heroin was the only drug that really took him down fast.
- Ozzy Osbourne – This American rock star struggled with heroin for many years, and he went in and out of rehab to get sober.
- Nicole Richie – This supermodel once admitted that she was using cocaine before the age of 18. Sadly, soon after she got involved with pills and then heroin.
- Robert Downy Junior – This American movie star was arrested many times for drug charges, including heroin possession. He got sober and has had a flourishing acting career since.
- Angelina Jolie – Jolie is an American actress who admitted on a 60 Minutes TV program that she tried almost every drug out there, including heroin.
Fortunately, some of these celebrities were able to get help and get sober. Like Robert Downey Jr., life after addiction can be successful and meaningful. If you’ve lost your power to drugs and alcohol, seek out addiction help today.
Read HERE about other celebrity addictions
For more information about getting help for your addictions visit Transcend Texas HERE